For young people, the transition from a life inside juvenile prison to outside is great. When released they start with a lot of good energy, but starting over with your work, home and friends - everything really - comes with a lot of challenges.You are empathetic and can work impartially YiP is looking for voluntary mentors to guide young people who are released from juvenile prisons.Do you believe in new opportunities for detained youth? Do you always see what IS possible and can you motivate others to think just as positively? Are you able to build a bond quickly and can you support someone during a stressful time? Do you live in (or nearby) Rotterdam or Spijkenisse? Can you speak Dutch? Then we are looking for YOU!
The YiP mentoring program connects voluntary mentors to young people in detention. Young people that have the prospect of release and are in need to brainstorm confidentially with someone about the future and new possibilities. A mentor visits a young person every week inside and after realease also outside the institution. By discussing personal goals and practical matters, they discover together what opportunities lie ahead.
We are looking for mentors who can empathize with the world of (formerly) detained youths; maybe because you live in a place with juvenile delinquency or have direct and personal experience with young people, or with being detained and starting over. We are mainly looking for mentors in the region of Rotterdam & Spijkenisse.A Mentor..
We offer you..
- Is able to support his or her mentee in Dutch
- Is available for one day a week for a minimum period of sex months
- Is at least 23 years old
- Is willing to follow training from YiP
- Identifies with the objectives and methodology of Young in Prison
- Utilises his or her positive energy to stimulate and inspire young people
- Is able to work independently with young people
- Is empathetic and can work impartially
Young in Prison
- A unique opportunity to put a positive spin on the lives of the young participants
- The chance to (further) develop yourself as coach
- Training in the YiP methodology
- Intensive counseling and feedback by experts of YiP (about for example 'how to make contact', psychology and coaching)
- Active counseling and feedback by the YiP coordinator and team
- An opportunity to be part of an international network/organisation and to collaborate and/or exchange knowledge with other programmes of YiP
Young in Prison (YiP) has offered detained youth a chance of a better future through creative programmes since 2002. In 2013, YiP created a programme that focused on the positive reintegration of young detainees in the Netherlands. In 2014, YiP also started a programme for young people after release who have difficulty finding their way in society. For that reason, the programme starts during detention, so that young people are not alone after release. The programme is run by volunteering mentors.
Need more information? Go to https://vanbinnennaarbuiten.younginprison.nl/
(only in Dutch)
Do you have a question? Do not hesitate to contact Tobias: tobias[@]younginprison.orgIt is only possible to apply in Dutch.